Friday, May 11, 2012

A food ninja ain't too proud to dumpster dive for some awesome food graphics


Behold the graphics on this magnificent box, picked out of a magic dumpster here in our beloved Classic City on Thursday.

Whomever designed the box knew how to get a bang out of one-color printing. The large wavy type reads "GREENS" in green ink (natch)." But the way "GREENS" is rendered also manages to say more than "there are greens in this box." Nope, this box says "greens are the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

The content list printed on the side of the box which displays the possible varieties of greens that might be inside is great, too. The possibilities include Bunched Turnips, Mustard, Cress, Kale, Collard, Spinach, Turnip, "Other," and Salad Onions. I can think of a few people I'd like to call "bunched turnips." Wonder if I can make fetch happen with that one.

I confess, I've never heard of a "salad onion" before. Is it a regional or antiquated term? Some quick research reveals that it's another word for scallion or green onion, but I'm still curious to learn more. Do any of you folks call them salad onions?

Anyway, it's pretty pleasing that a few moments of dumpster time on a Thursday afternoon rewarded me not only with some fine commercial graphics, but also a new insult that can be used in polite company, and a new (to me) name for a scallion. Can't beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment